Options to Get Approved for a Mortgage After Declaring Bankruptcy
Getting a mortgage after bankruptcy is different because there is additional qualifying criteria. If you have a bankruptcy within the last 6 years, that doesn't mean that you'll be locked out of home ownership forever. Here are four steps to applying for a mortgage after bankruptcy.
Option 1: Have a Large Down Payment
There are alternative lenders that will give someone a mortgage after bankruptcy even if it is only one day since your discharge. The way they do this is by requiring you to have “skin in the game”. This means that they want you to have at least 20% down.
Option 2: Re-establish Your Credit
If a large down payment is not available to you, then you need to work hard to re-establish your credit. Once you've been discharged from bankruptcy, it will be time to start rebuilding your credit. A few good ways to do this are to take out a car loan or an RRSP loan. A secured credit card is another good option for re-establishing a credit history. You'll need to have at least a two-year track record with at least two credit accounts reporting to your credit bureau. It is extremely important that your payment history is squeaky-clean after a bankruptcy, meaning that you always make your loan or credit card payments on time to obtain a mortgage after bankruptcy with prime lenders.
If you have been bankrupt but have a large down payment or you have re-established your credit, it is time to get pre-approved! A mortgage broker can advise you on what information lenders will be looking for and help you complete your application for a mortgage after bankruptcy.
Not ready to apply for a pre-approval but want clarification on your situation? Feel free to call me direct at 780-915-4318.Request Mortgage Info
- Why Are You Getting Denied: Mortgage Renewals After Consumer Proposals
- What is Foreclosure and How Does a Mortgage Loan for Foreclosure Work?
- Can You Keep Your House and Mortgage by Refinancing After Bankruptcy?
- How is Your Mortgage Renewal Effected After a Consumer Proposal?
- Understanding a Mortgage Loan for Foreclosure
- 3 Things You Should Consider to Help You Get a Mortgage After Bankruptcy
- Mortgage Renewals after Consumer Proposals: How Will Your Renewal Be Affected?
- Facing Tough Times: How to Use a Mortgage Loan for Foreclosure
- How Can a Mortgage Broker Help You Get a Mortgage After Bankruptcy?
- Is it Still Possible to Obtain Mortgage Renewals After Consumer Proposals?
- Contact Us for More Information On Mortgage Broker Services