Options to Get Approved for a Mortgage After Declaring Bankruptcy
Getting a mortgage after bankruptcy is different because there is additional qualifying criteria. If you have a bankruptcy within the last 6 years, that doesn't mean that you'll be locked out of home ownership forever. Here are four steps to applying for a mortgage after bankruptcy.
Option 1: Have a Large Down Payment
There are alternative lenders that will give someone a mortgage after bankruptcy even if it is only one day since your discharge. The way they do this is by requiring you to have “skin in the game”. This means that they want you to have at least 20% down.
Option 2: Re-establish Your Credit
If a large down payment is not available to you, then you need to work hard to re-establish your credit. Once you've been discharged from bankruptcy, it will be time to start rebuilding your credit. A few good ways to do this are to take out a car loan or an RRSP loan. A secured credit card is another good option for re-establishing a credit history. You'll need to have at least a two-year track record with at least two credit accounts reporting to your credit bureau. It is extremely important that your payment history is squeaky-clean after a bankruptcy, meaning that you always make your loan or credit card payments on time to obtain a mortgage after bankruptcy with prime lenders.
If you have been bankrupt but have a large down payment or you have re-established your credit, it is time to get pre-approved! A mortgage broker can advise you on what information lenders will be looking for and help you complete your application for a mortgage after bankruptcy.
Not ready to apply for a pre-approval but want clarification on your situation? Feel free to call me direct at 780-915-4318.Request Mortgage Info
- The Facts of Refinancing a Mortgage After Bankruptcy
- What You Need to Know about Mortgage Renewals After Consumer Proposals
- How a Mortgage Loan Can Help Prevent Foreclosure
- Considering a Consumer Proposal? Here’s What You Need to Know Regarding Your Mortgage Renewal
- Deciphering Mortgage Refinancing After Bankruptcy
- Your Foreclosure Fears Explained & How a Mortgage Loan Can Help
- What to Consider When Refinancing Mortgage After Bankruptcy
- How a Consumer Proposal Can Affect Your Mortgage Renewal
- Can You Prevent Home Foreclosure with a Mortgage Loan?
- What to Know About Mortgage Renewals After a Consumer Proposal
- Contact Us for More Information On Mortgage Broker Services